Monday, September 8, 2008

Last week's Nike Human Race 10K

In case you didn't hear it from me yet, I ran in my first 10k last weekend. It's the longest race I've ever run--- 6.2 miles from start to finish. At my 10 minute-mile pace, I finished it in exactly 62 minutes (and 49 seconds). I ran it with a girl I've recently met through Chris and his friends - her name's Shalynn. She was running with a group of friends, so I joined them. It was good - we all had a steady pace.

I didn't take too many pictures from the race, but the Nike website posted a few of the crowds that turned out. Here's the scene on the Lakeshore bike path, mid-run...

The Human Race 10k was a race run in 26 locations around the globe on the same day. Chicago had the largest number of racers of any race in America - with almost 14,000 participating. And while I was 1 minute off the average race time of my city, we were still ranked against every one of the racers globally. So I came in 110,204th place. LOL. That's pretty ridiculous. But if a half a million people ran, then I guess I'm in the top half. Here's me finishing! (ha ha - just kidding)

After the run, there was a free concert, with local band Fall Out Boy performing. It isn't my favorite band, but it was the first time I set foot in Soldier Field. Yes, I did have to touch the grass on the field. But it's no Cowboys Stadium.

Here's me overlooking the field.

No comments: